Life sans T.V.

Why I have decided to go without t.v. and how I am doing.... oh yeah, and writing every day. I forgot that part.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Blogging for the first time

Welcome to Life sans T.V. This is my first attempt at blogging and I have given up t.v. to do so. Hence the name. I have always wanted to be a writer... scratch that. I am a writer! I just don't spend a lot of time writing (which makes me like many writers I have read about). So, I have given up t.v. in the hopes that I will be able to take an hour a day, or more (or less...) to write. I got the idea from Writer's Digest, a magazine which I gave myself for Christmas. Actually, I gave me a subscription to it, not just one magazine. Anyway, there was a suggestion that blogging is a good way to get into writing on a regular basis, so here I am.

Since this is only my first day without t.v. I haven't noticed any serious withdrawal symptoms. Yet. I have noticed that I keep wondering what will happen on some of my favorite shows. Lately I've gotten into Criminal Minds, CSI, Bones (ah, David Boreanaz) and Supernatural. And, of course, there are the old favorites like Desperate Housewives and Hockey Night in Canada... Okay, not really the same thing, but you get the idea. For some reason Monday and Friday are the slow nights for t.v. as far as my schedule goes. Which is good because Monday's are, well, Mondays (meaning I am dog-tired after the first day back at work) and Fridays I have skating. Yes, I'm in an adult figure skating class. (We are currently working on our routines for Carnival, but that's another story for another time.)

Back to life without t.v. I have tried this before, but not to such an extreme. A few years ago (more like 5 or 7) I realized that I was watching 3 hours of t.v. a night!! And, I would get very upset if I had to miss a night, because all the shows I watched were serials, like Dawson's Creek and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (meaning, if I missed an episode I was lost). Finally, I decided that my life was being run by t.v. "This is not good", I thought. So, I managed to cut down the my two favorite shows (Buffy and Angel), both of which were cancelled not too long thereafter, sending me into a t.v. frenzy. Luckily I have gotten ahold of myself once again. We'll see how long it last this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home